Thursday, July 14, 2011

Pickle Dreams

Hello,

Well, it’s been a rough week. My dreams of pickle stardom have been destroyed. I have been working hard on my blue-ribbon pickle recipe for the Chemung County Fair for the past 10 months (the fair is in 2 weeks). So I printed off the entry rules for canned goods only to find out that pickles are not judged by taste - they are judged  by LOOKS only. They don’t even open the jars to smell them. What?!

I will just have to know in my heart that I have excellent pickles, ribbon or no ribbon.  My secret ingredients are brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. We need a local Pickle Festival.

The better news is that we have CORN - not a whole lot yet, but enough for whomever gets it first. Also in our farm stand we have green and yellow beans, zucchini and summer squash, all kinds of lettuce, basil, parsley, cucumbers and pickle cucumbers, and zinnias.

Melons are coming along nicely as are peppers. The tomato crop is looking great, too. We have resorted to irrigation as the ground is really dry.

"We Grow What We Sell"

No comments:

Post a Comment